About Me

My photo
Master of Science, Healthcare Administration. Certified Healthcare Business Consultant. Certified Business Appraiser. Certified Valuation Analyst.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Suddenly Solo: Blog from Urologist on Starting a practice

Found an interesting blog called The Independent Urologist, and a posting regarding starting up a practice from scratch. He makes a good point about dealing with obstacles in a practice from the ground up:

"....My obstacles in February 2006 included lack of office space, little practice management knowledge, not enough money, no patients, no hospital staff privileges, no referring doctors, etc. Your obstacles may be similar to mine, but might be different, but you will have obstacles. Identifying them will help you to overcome them. It is essential that you list all--I mean all---of your obstacles. Slowly but surely, in a systematic fashion, you’ll overcome them."

Also makes a keen point about establishing concrete goals, not just grandiose ideas of the amount of income or level of success one would like to achieve by having their own practice:

"Finally, you must have goal. And not something like “to make a lot of money.” You’ll never have enough money. I mean to set a professional goal. What you want from your practice, profession, life, etc. My goal was my ideal practice—my dream practice. The practice I always wanted, but never thought I could have. If you don’t have a goal, get one. If your goal is nebulous, focus it, on paper."

Good blog. Looks like he's got a book too.

No comments: